There’s plenty going on in Melbourne on Australia Day and it is recommended that you leave the car at home and make the most of trains, trams and buses to get into the city and to get around between events.
Getting to events in the CBD
The best way to get to Australia Day celebrations is via public transport.
Please visit the Public Transport Victoria website www.ptv.vic.gov.au or call PTV on 1800 800 007 to plan your travel this Australia Day.
Catch a train to Flinders Street Station to view the Flag Raising Ceremony at the Melbourne Town Hall in Swanston Street, and the Australia Day Parade along Swanston Street and St Kilda Road.
For events in Kings Domain Gardens, catch a train to linders Street Station and walk (approximately 10-15 minutes) across Princes Bridge into St Kilda Road. The Kings Domain Gardens are on the left and the Arts Centre and National Gallery of Victoria are on the right.
All train services will be running on a Public Holiday schedule (Sunday timetable).
Collins Street services (8:15am to 12:45pm)
- Line 109 Port Melbourne / Box Hill will operate between Stop 58 Box Hill Terminus and Stop 129 Port Melbourne Terminus via La Trobe St
- Line 12 Victoria Gardens / St Kilda will operate between Stop 24-Victoria Gardens Terminus and Stop 143 St Kilda Terminus via Latrobe St
- Line 48 North Balwyn/Victoria Harbour will terminate at Stop 7- 101 Collins St
- Line 11 West Preston / Victoria Harbour will terminate at Stop 7- 101 Collins St Shuttle service between Elizabeth St and Collins St to Victoria Harbour.
Flinders Street services (10.30am to 1.00pm)
- Line 75 Vermont South will operate between Vermont South Terminus to Stop 6 Flinders and Russell St
- Line 70 Wattle Park will operate between Wattle Park Terminus to Stop 6 Flinders and Russell St.
- A shuttle service (approx. 8 minute) will operate between Stop 4 Flinders St and Elizabeth St to Stop D6 Flinders St West.
City Circle (12.00pm-1pm) Line 35 City Circle will operate between Stop 4- Flinders St and Elizabeth St and Docklands Drive via Flinders St.
Swanston Street services (8:30am to 1:00pm)
- Line 1 East Coburg / South Melbourne will run between Stop 135 Bell St & Nicholson St and Stop 8 Swanston & Latrobe (State Library) / between South Melbourne Beach Stop 32 Beaconsfield Pde & Victoria Ave and Stop 14 Arts Precinct
- Line 8 Moreland / Toorak will run between Moreland Terminus Stop 133 Moreland Station (Cameron St & Moreland Rd) & Stop 8 Swanston & Latrobe(State Library) / between Toorak Terminus Stop 43 Toorak (Glenferrie Rd & Toorak Rd) and Stop 14 Arts Precinct
- Line 3,5,6,16,64,67 & 72 from the South – all lines that service the St Kilda Rd corridor from the southern termini will operate between to Stop 14 Arts Precinct to the suburb’s termini.
- A Shuttle Service will operate in Swanston St from Stop 8 Swanston & Latrobe (State Library) to Stop 1 Melbourne University.
Bus services into the city will operate, however, the 605 service will be diverted via Exhibition Street, Latrobe Street, Queen Street, Lonsdale Street. Outbound service will run as normal. It is expected this alteration will only affect the 10.15am & 11.40am services from Gardenvale, which are expected to arrive in the city at 11.00am & 12.25pm.
The Tourist Shuttle will operate, however, buses will use St Kilda Road instead of Linlithgow Ave and buses will not use stops 1 (Arts Centre) and 13 (Shrine of Remembrance). Buses will commence servicing stop 2 (St Paul’s Cathedral) from 1.30pm.
Bike parking (unsupervised) is available in Kings Domain Gardens. Melbourne bike-share stations are found throughout the city.
Parking is available in the CBD and around the Gardens and Arts Centre Precinct. Note: road closures will be in place to facilitate the Australia Day events in the above locations.
The nearest taxi rank is located outside Flinders Street Station.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING ROAD CLOSURES ON THURSDAY 26 JANUARY 2017 IN AND AROUND THE CBD
4.00am–1.30pm Flinders Street – centre carriage way left hand turn lane from flinders street to St Kilda Rd Eastern Service Lane
4.00am – 2.30pm Swanston Street – Little Collins Street to Collins Street (southbound only)
7.30am – 1.05pm Swanston Street – Lonsdale Street to Flinders Street
7.30am – 1.00pm Collins Street – Elizabeth Street to Russell Street
9.30am –12.30pm Little Collins Street – Royal Lane to Elizabeth Street
9.30am – 1.30pm St Kilda Road – Flinders Street to Southbank Boulevard
10.00am – 12.30pm Little Bourke St & Bourke Street – Elizabeth Street to Russell Street
10.30am – 12.30pm Flinders Lane – Elizabeth Street to Exhibition Street (no right-hand turn into Elizabeth Street)
10.30am – 12.45pm Flinders Street – Queen Street to Russell Street (deliveries in Swanston Street and Collins Street will be permitted until 8.30am).
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING ROAD CLOSURES FOR THE AUSTRALIA DAY CELEBRATIONS IN AND AROUND KINGS DOMAIN GARDENS:
7.00am Wednesday 25 January to 10.00pm Thursday 26 January – Linlithgow Avenue from Government House Drive to Linlithgow Avenue North.
12.01am Thursday 26 January to 10.00am – Birdwood Avenue will be closed from Domain Road to Dallas Brooks Drive.
4am Thursday 26 January to 1.00pm – St Kilda Road Eastern Service Lane from Princes Bridge to Anzac Avenue.
4am Thursday 26 January to 6.00pm – Birdwood Avenue from Dallas Brooks Drive to Government House Drive; St Kilda Road Eastern Service Lane from Princes. Bridge to Anzac Avenue; Anzac Avenue from St Kilda Road to Birdwood Avenue; Government House Drive from St Kilda Road to Government House.
11.00am Thursday 26 January to 1.30pm – Linlithgow Avenue North from St Kilda Rd to Alexandra Parade
From the city, walk via La Trobe Street, Collins Street or the Bourke Street Pedestrian Bridge from Southern Cross Station to Harbour Esplanade.
There are various ways to get to Docklands by boat. Please visit thatsmelbourne.com.au
Public parking is available throughout Docklands and arrangements will be in place to ensure smooth entry and exit for all Australia Day patrons in 2017. Reduced speed limits and road closures will be in effect on Harbour Esplanade and within the precinct. In the event of all carparks being full in precinct, emergency road closures will be put in place to keep traffic congestion to a minimum.
Trams will operate to a Public Holiday timetable and additional services will operate to and from Docklands.
Tram 70, and 75 will be shunting at Flinders St and Footscray Rd and will NOT be running along Harbour Esplanade.
Route 86 will terminate at Waterfront City Docklands stop 11.
Trams 24, 30, 86, 95 running along Latrobe St will remain undisrupted with additional trams in the evening to assist with departure.
Bike-share stations are on the corner of Harbour Esplanade and NewQuay Promenade and Harbour Esplanade and Victoria Harbour Promenade.
Alight at Southern Cross Station. Walk towards Harbour Esplanade (follow signs to Etihad Stadium) and along Harbour Esplanade.
Metro Trains will be running a Public Holiday timetable, which is a 20 minute frequency across the network.
All taxi traffic should be directed to the existing Taxi Rank on Bourke St. between Harbour Esp. and Batman Hill Drive adjacent to Etihad Stadium.
All cyclists will be asked to dismount if travelling along water side of Harbour Esplanade due to the large increase in foot traffic and as part of the event’s safety plan. This will be advertised with flashing message boards and static traffic management on the day.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING ROAD CLOSURES FOR THE AUSTRALIA DAY CELEBRATIONS IN & AROUND DOCKLANDS:
- From 5.00pm to 11.00pm Thursday 26 January Harbour Esplanade will be fully closed to all traffic.
V-Line trains run regularly on Australia Day and are a great way to get into Victoria’s regional cities and towns. Check V-Line for more information and to plan your journey.